Friday, July 17, 2009

Anna Richardson, explorer.

The best thing about today: the discovery of shredded apple. Joana, our maid, made me breakfast this morning and instead of just plain yogurt and granola (which I love) she shredded apple first and put it in there! Whoa yum.

Even though breakfast was a tough act to follow, the rest of the day ended up being real cool. I went for a run to el Parque Araucano. My first run in Santiago! It was a beautiful day for it. Our program coordinator actually warned us against running outdoors at first because of the dirty air, but I didn't notice it being too bad. After lunch I went for another long walk westward on Apoquindo. Lily had told me that there was a plaza with a bunch of artesanos up that way, and I found them! Really cool stuff! They're in this plaza called Pueblito de Los Dominicos. There is a big church there, I think it might be a monastery? Not sure. Anyway, there were a ton of little tiny shops. I could have spent all of my money. After that I walked up towards another cerro that supposedly has a space observatory that's open to the public, but it didn't look very friendly so instead I checked out this tennis park across the street - sooooo cool. It's called Parque Tenis El Alba. There is a main entrance and then after a little refreshments stand, a path winds around about twenty CLAY tennis courts. The park sits on a hill and the courts aren't really in a grid pattern so its a nice park for walking. I sat and watched a doubles match for a little while. The park also has at least two small soccer courts. Hoohoo! If only I had a crew to play with.

Something funny I noticed today: a lot of people smell really good. I haven't gathered sufficient data to say that everybody wears perfume or cologne but almost. I was thinking that maybe it's because the way people greet each other here is by kissing each other on the cheek, so one's BO is a lot more noticeable. Maybe I'll ask Mariana. I ask so many questions, especially to Lily. Dinner is calling my name. Joana's making fish. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment