Monday, September 7, 2009

Lily's Cumpleaños!

¡Cumpleaños feliz,
Te deseamos a ti,
Cumpleaños Lily,
Que los cumplas feliz!

The birthday song is different here!

It was Lily's birthday today and she had a party in the evening with a bunch of friends and relatives. She got home around 6:30 and we started preparing food and drinks. At most Chilean parties I've been to, they just have a bunch of finger food. My (and my mom B. Jo's) favorite! Tonight we had a veggie platter, nuts, cheese and crackers, meat balls/hot dog bites, empanaditas, little hard-boiled eggs, and this dish that I don't remember the name of that is a bed of thinly sliced zucchini with lemon juice and capers on top that is meant to be eaten on crackers. And everything had it's own home-made dipping sauce prepared by Joanna (our nana). She's a rockstar. She came to help with the party and stayed all night - with a nasty little cold.

I was a little nervous about helping with the party because I didn't want to get in anyone's way, but really Lily just needed help setting up and then we (the young adults) were guests just like everybody else. All of her friends who I have met are super nice, and her niece and nephew feel like my cousins. We even had a kid table like the Jeanetta cousins always do at family get-togethers. Lily was in a great mood and I think she had a really good time. Did I luck out or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment